4 Tips to choose the right sink
Altought apparently it may seem easy when choosing a sink for our households, this is one of the most complex decisions to take. It is along with the faucet and the countertop, one of the leading players when preparing the food. There are different types, shapes and materials.
1st Type of sinks
When choosing the type of sink, it depends chiefly on the aesthetics that you want to give to your kitchen. There are two types:
- Under countertop. The main advantage of this type of sink is that, the need for gaskets on the surface is no longer required. Moreover, in terms of aesthtetics they are far more attractive, since they offer a sense of continuity.
- Inset. The sink falps are located above the countertop. It has some drawbacks: needs to be sealed with a silicone gasket,which eventually may get dirty and damaged. Consequently, the visual perception of the countertop may not be aesthetic.
2nd Sink shapes
When choosing a sink you take under consideration the space available in your kitchen, the material and the type of countertop. Depending on the countertop surface available, and whether it is next to the walll or it is part of a kitchen island, this is where the design and preferences of one self intertwine.
- A bucket
- A bucket and a half
- A bucket without drainer
- A bucket and a half with drainer
- Two buckets
- Two buckets with drainer
3rd Material of the sink
The main factor that we must take into account is its functionality. In addition, glass sinks will be slightly expensier.
- Synthetic. There are a huge variety of colors. It has a high resistance to scratches and dents. High resistance to lime and supports very high temperatures, up to 280º.
- Stainless steel. This material offers a maximum resistance to dents. For instance, it is less tolerant to scratches and lime problems. It requires a steady maintenance and its appearance may be less attractive.
- Glass. Glass is the material that offers the greatest weakness against impacts and scratches. Its resistance to lime is medium. They are very hygienic and visually are the most beautiful.
- Marble sinks. It is one of the most suitable options if what we pursue is to integrate to the maximum the sink in the counterop. Conversely, it may get scratched easily, and can be damaged by acid liquids.
- Stoneware sinks. This is a very good option as they are resistant to both dents and high temperatues. In addition, stoneware offers a huge range of colors, that may give a different touch to the kitchen.
- Ceramic sinks. Ceramic sinks are tolerant and long lasting. Moreover, it is the most hygienic option, as this material avoids the adhesion of material to their walls which prevents the proliferation of bacterias.
4st Sink accessories
The scourer, the cleaning cloth and the dishwasher dispenser, coexist with the sink. In order to store these objects, the use of decorative accessories will improve the visual aspect of the sink and it will also facilitate the cleaning tasks of the cuntertop and sink.
- Draining basket: You will be able to wash the vegetables and drain them in this accessory. It is a very convenient way to clean the vegetables.
- Bucket for the scourer: You can place the pads and cloths here. It must be made of plastic or steel so that it does not rust with the water.
In short, the choice of the sink deserves time for us to be sure before the decision is taken. It must fullfil our needs and expectations concerning the aesthetics of the kitchen.